Saturday, October 1, 2011

Blog 4

John Dewey once said, “We do not learn from experience, we learn from reflecting on experience." From my experience in “Basic Writing” class, I can truly say that I have learned a lot. Specifically, I learned a great deal from working with Dr. Ximena Gallarado, she had taught me the importance of rephrasing words as well as reading out loud any piece that I have written. These are things which I don’t do often, but should in order to improve my work. Dr. Gallarado also taught me how expanding my word choices can make a great essay.
What I have improved in the most since beginning the writing class is that my grammar  skills has improved and I now take a closer look at what I am writing. I also learned a lot about paragraphing and that you have to develop your ideas and support any claims made in a paragraph.
The material that I am still having trouble with is getting down the thesis. The reason being is that my theses always seem like they have nothing to do with the significant ideas and claims in my passages. So, my skills still have not yet built to where I can write a solid thesis, and I’m still having slight problems with my grammar.
Overall, my confidence level has stayed the same in “Basic Writing.”, I feel as though I have so much more to improve on. I need to expand my vocabulary and I need to be able to connect my words more smoothly in my essays. The reason I feel this way is because I know that my essay skills need a little bit of work, but I believe I have gotten a little bit better.
I have really come to enjoy “Basic Writing” because I never really had a class where I had to do blogs on the internet. Also, I feel as though it will help me with my major in college. In addition, I think that I will be able to improve my speech.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honest reflection! It helps to know what you think you need to work on.

    ReplyDelete